Sunday, September 2, 2007

Cortina Ancora (again)












I think I have mentioned before my previous visits to Cortina. Its a quaint, alpine-village in the Dolomites in Northern Italy. Because of its proximity to Austria, there is a heavy German influence. And because it is the mountains (real big mountains!), there is definitely a temperature change. We were lucky enough to get a good day with a high of 60 and a low of 40.




On the drive up, I was certainly impressed with the autostrada that was built (we took the more scenice route). As you can see from the pic, this is quite an engineering feat.

The hotel was a nice surprise--all wood decor and some nice amenities--thats Marco pretending he is the owner standing next to 'his' bar.

During one of our walks, we stumbled upon a swing and I decided to relive childhood for a bit....and only a bit because I was soon reminded that I get seasick on swings!
There were several town mascots, one of them being a cow....Marco is holding a brochure of its cute face but we never really saw one live there.
I am hoping to go back in November when there is snow (did I say that outloud?) and ride one of the many trams to the top of any of the mountains. Cortina is a very popular ski and hiking resort area. Although I dont know the elevation of the city, I do know that one of the trams takes you to a point of about 3000 meters (10,000 feet) high...I can only imagine what the view is like....it will also be a good way for me to engage in some immersion therapy and try to cure my fear of heights...stay tuned for that one!
Its such a great place..wish I would have stayed longer instead of coming back for the Regatta!

No comments: