Friday, November 2, 2007

Calgon Take Me Away!

There are many things that are so different in Italy than America (as one would expect) and then there are some things that remind me of home (and not always comforting).

Yesterday was the national holiday. Here I thought (and who knows why) that it was going to be a quiet day to honor the saints. Instead half of Europe thought it was the start of 4 day weekend and descended upon Venice in droves.

For those of you who have visited me, you know how crowded it can be here. Well, just multiply that a few times and that is what I am experiencing now. Its herendous! The only comparison I can draw is the day after Thanksgiving when all of America is out beginning their Christmas shopping. Cars and people everywhere. Obviously, there are no cars here, but the streets, the boats, the stores, the restaurants, the hotels are all jam packed. The weather is really nice--60 and sunny--which only adds to the hords of people.

I think this is a good weekend to either leave town or to hibernate. Since I am not able to leave, I will do my best to stay in and hope that Monday finds Venice back to 'normal' levels of tourists!

No comments: