Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Free at Last, Free at Last, Thank God I am Free at Last!

Ok...that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but today is my first full day without a cell phone! I feel somewhat free, yet naked at the same time. Now, I still have my work phone, my home phone, various computers to send emails, my Italian cell phone, and if all else fails, I can get in my car and go talk to someone in person. However, it is an odd feeling when you are suddenly unplugged. I have to admit that my drive home today was a bit longer as I was not able to call anyone while stuck in traffic. The upside of this, however, is that I might actually pay more attention to the road while driving! :-)

I recently saw a news report where they asked this high powered executive at some magazine in NY to go without a cell phone for a week. It was a fascinating psychological pursuit. The first day he was just a bit put out at the inconvenience. By the third day, he was getting change and going to pay phones on the street and by the fifth day, he literally had a breakdown and started crying. Right there on national TV--just like a big baby. He said he couldn't take it anymore and would have to quit before the last 2 days! Wow!

Well, I can assure you that I won't have a nervous breakdown without my cell phone. It's not like it's peanut butter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are experiencing transition in reverse. I am going from not having a cell phone to acquiring one when I move back to Phoenix. My rural German country life did not necessitate a "Handi", but life in the big city is a little scary without a cell phone.