Thursday, April 17, 2008

The First List

So, I am fresh off the bus back from the airport for the last time (until I go) dropping my last visitor off to return to sunny Phoenix. I am in the throws of packing and have come to grips with the fact that it is going to cost me more than I thought to get everything home--who knew I accumulated so much!

I thought I would use the next couple of days to ponder some of my top 10 lists (although I have decided only to make a list of 5). Today, I am thinking about the things I will NOT miss once I leave. And here they are.....drum roll please!

1. The genetic incapability of Venetians to form a line to wait their turn for anything.

2. The incessant pushing, shoving and cutting in line that accompanies this genetic defect.

3. The breathing in of second hand cigarette smoke all day long while walking the streets of Venice.

4. The general rudeness, curt nature and brisk behavior that seems to plague Venetians.

5. Having to pay more for something if I sit down or not getting a Venetian discount because I dont have an 'in' with a business.

Now, I am sure some of you would have thought I would have listed the cashier Nazi but, to be honest, in some strange way I think both she and I like our antagonistic relationship and I bet she is going to miss me! haha

I chose to only list 5 things because I dont think it fair for me to 'complain' about the culture of another country. Afterall, I came here to live in Italy and immerse myself, not to be an American living in Italy. There are other things that I dont care for or wish were different but they arent significant enough to list and I dont lose sleep over them. The list above makes the fur on the back of my neck stand up and therefore made the cut!

Tomorrow....what I am going to miss....a much harder top 5 list to come up with.

1 comment:

Gil said...

I think that you have been much kinder to your host country with the list you have posted than some of the other things I have read.

I can't believe that the interesting posts are coming to an end.